Sunday, March 20, 2016

Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins

I've mentioned before how picky my oldest son is.  I'm always looking for healthy recipes that he may eat but I often have to get very creative.  I've really been working on getting him to eat a healthier breakfast in the morning before school. But it needed to be something quick because he gets on the bus EARLY!  When I asked him about things that he wanted for breakfast he of course mentioned chocolate chip muffins!  So, I had to come up with a way to make them somewhat healthy!  I found a few recipes on Pinterest and modified them a bit to get some protein added in and sugar taken out.  This is what I came up with!  They have been  HUGE hit with both my boys!  This is the 3rd batch I've made because they keep requesting them.  Yes, there is chocolate in them but I use chocolate chips with 70% or higher cacao.  So, not too shabby!





HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

Ingredients

*3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
*1 1/2 Tbsp Stevia
*1/4 cup honey
*2 large egg whites (or 1 large egg)
*3/4 cup Plain non-fat Greek yogurt
*2 tsp Vanilla extract
*1/2 cup whole wheat flour
*1/2 cup Almond flour
*1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
*1 Scoop of Chocolate Shakeology 
*1/2 tsp salt
*1 tsp baking soda
*1tsp baking powder
*1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips

Directions:
1)Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Spray 12 count muffin pan with nonstick spray (no liners).

2) In a large bowl, whisk the applesauce, stevia, honey, egg whites, greek yogurt and vanilla extract together until smooth.

3)  Sift the flours, cocoa powder salt, baking soda, and baking powder together.  Slowly stir in the wet ingredients.  Do not overmix.  Get any dry pockets out of flour.  Fold in the mini dark chocolate chips.  

4)  Divid the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling them to the top.  Bake for 5 minutes at 425 then, keeping the muffins int he oven, reduce the temperature to 375.  Bake an additional 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  

5)  Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in muffin pan, then transfer to wire rack to cool until ready to eat.  

6)  Store in airtight container.  

*You can substitute the Shakeology for a scoop of chocolate protein powder or use 1/2 cup of the unsweetened cocoa instead.  



No comments:

Post a Comment